Thursday, February 20, 2014

House and Home Project

* I linked this post up to the Linky Party found here.

Okay, back during New Year's I posted on the TBMB about a corner of my house that I wanted to update.  It was the entry way and "command center" of our home and it was driving me nuts.  There was a broken shelf with 2 pegs that held all of our bags.  It was a dull color.  The floor had shoes strewn about and the counter was annoying me.  So I decided to get on it, you can see the first steps that I took in the link:  Before picture

So the counter was cleared.  A basket in a drawer helped me to organize my keys and phone and such. But I still didn't love the bag area and I couldn't stand the shoes.

Then we went Target.  We were going to get some command hooks and stick them on the wall.  I wanted each of us to have our own hook.

But then we didn't like anything.

Ah, Target, you are so smart.  I was walking by one of the seasonal displays in the storage bin section and there they were.  Bright, beautiful animal wall hooks.  They were metal, there were 4 animals.  We were in love.  (I tried really hard to find a link for them and could not for the life of me.)

We took old shelf down, and put up new hooks, even though the wall was now unevenly colored (even more).  We had this...

Our entryway is perpendicular to this wall,
so this is right when you walk in.

Yay for hooks.  Yikes for wall!  And still, no fix for the shoes.

I wanted a bright and bold color to complement the bright colors of the hooks.  Navy blue might have been nice too.  Or a mustard yellow.  Here's what I came up with:

Venus Tea by Behr

This color also happens to be the color of my living room wall.  It's leftovers were in my laundry room!  Score!

So I patched up holes, taped and painted.  This took me two coats and an entire week of nap time.  Really.

One step closer!  Now the shoes (finally)  I was at Home Depot and saw the awesome plant hangers that the link sent you to.  I took the brown plant growing stuff out and bought just the frame.  I put it on the wall and VOILA!


Organized, bright, colorful command center!  I'm the giraffe, Lukas is the green pig (by process of elimination), C is the dark blue rhino and T is the Kelly green elephant.

My favorite part is that the shoes are off the floor and by the door ready to go.  Yay for putting a small but important amount of responsibility on the small guys!

Who would've thought that a post about a tiny section of my house would be so detailed?



2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you! I really like it still! (It's been less than a week, but I don't see me not liking it in the future.)

      Delete