Friday, March 21, 2014

Cotton Ball Painting

* I linked this post up to the Linky Party found here.

Yay for Spring.  Yay for spring break!

Last week I was reading the Bower Power Blog (this post). She and her son did this very same project and I completely got the idea from her, but I wanted to share it with you!

We started with some plain brown paper taped to our fence:

While shadows of clothespins danced above their heads

We chose 3 seasonally appropriate colors of paint.  This next part probably wasn't my best move, but it wasn't too bad either.  I used acrylic paint and watered it down a bit.  That made this into a craft that was done by the artists in their underpants to avoid staining.


We dipped the cotton balls into the paint and got them pretty saturated.  We wanted them to be heavy enough to throw.  Then we got them out and had a great time pitching them at our canvas.  Some of us stood a little closer than others.

Look at that spring sky!  Ooh la la!
We also got out some paint brushes in case we wanted to add that texture to our painting.  Which we did.  In the end, we got this:

Wow, this picture turned out dark....
Later while it was drying, C said, "It looks like flowers."  I agree.  Especially in the bottom right, it looks like flowers on a stem.

He then went on to say, "and people, and a horse."  Apparently it's abstract!  I do think that this was a super fun painting activity.  It was very satisfying to see the cotton balls splat up on the paper and stick there.  We also were able to re-dip and throw the same cotton balls again.

On my summer bucket list:  Giant ice cube toy excavation

No comments:

Post a Comment