Wednesday, August 14, 2013

A Fresh Start

With back to school being a major theme in my life this week, I thought I'd share how I'm getting off to a fresh new start (338).  

By fresh I mean ingredients and by new start, I mean to each day!

As far as the beginning of each day goes, I have developed a recipe for what I think is the perfect smoothie to get me to lunch.  Here are the ingredients:



I should inform you that I don't often measure a lot in the kitchen with certain ingredients.  While the flax seed and coconut oil are at a measured 1 TBSP each, I tend to eyeball it for the other ingredients.   

For the strawberries and Kale (I sometimes use spinach) I stick to a handful, maybe a cup or a half a cup.  The orange juice I just pour in to about the top of the strawberries.  Since they are frozen and act as ice, the OJ just needs to balance it out to make it smooth.  If it's not blending well, add more OJ.  I have also considered using coconut water instead.   The harvest berries are pictured as a substitute for the strawberries, sometimes I will put in fresh raspberries too.

I just do a sprinkle of cinnamon.  I have read that this curves hunger.  Between that, the Kale, and the coconut oil, this smoothie leaves me feeling rejuvenated and gives me a healthy energy kick.

Once all of those things are in your blender (I use a Ninja Blender and really like it) you can mix until it's the consistency you want.  I don't personally like chunks, so I smooth those out.  Remember to add juice if it's too thick.  

This recipe can totally be modified to meet your flavor needs.  I personally like it simple.  Strawberries are my favorite fruit so that I why I chose them.  Plus (like I said) they replace the need for ice, keeping it from watering down. 

While I am at it...  If you know me, you know that I am addicted to (really) but would also like to kick the habit of Coca Cola.  So before I drink my smoothie, I start the morning off with a green tea.  This helps me to wake up, doesn't kill me in the caffeine withdrawal department and has really healthy side effects.  I may even throw some lemon slices in.    

Let me know if you try it, what you think!  I recommend it!

1 comment:

  1. It all sounds good, but the spinach,...love kale, though!!

    ReplyDelete